Calories Burned Jumping Rope
Calories burned jumping rope can work out to 15 to 20 calories per minute.
The average person could burn 200 to 300 jump rope calories in a simple 15 minute workout.
Not just for boxers or kids, rope jumping (skipping) can burn 25% more calories per minute than running.
What Impacts Calorie Burn During a Rope Jumping Workout?
There are a few key factors which influence the number of calories burned while jumping rope, these are:
- Your Weight
- The number of jumps you do / the speed of your workout
- The length of your workout
How many calories does jumping rope burn
For example a 150 lb person jumping rope at 1 jump a second (60 per min) for 10 minutes will burn just over 100 calories.
Whereas a 200 lb person jumping rope at 2 jumps a second (120 per min) for 15 minutes will burn almost 300 calories.
How To Do A Rope Jumping Workout
Here’s a simple rope jumping workout:
- Keep your elbows in close to your side, with your hands at waist-height
- Hold the rope loosely
- Keep your knees, ankles and hips relaxed, ready to bend and absorb your jump
- Turn the rope, using your wrists and forearms – not your shoulders
- Jump as the rope comes round – swing first, jump second
- Land on the balls of your feed and don’t put your heels down
If you get too tired before your workout is finished, drop the rope and carry on “shadow jumping” – keep your arms and legs going (work to keep the rope longer in future workouts).
Calories Burned Jumping Rope Calculator
The calories burned jumping rope calculator uses average metabolic rates to give you an estimate of the calories burned during your workout.
Enter your weight, the duration of your workout and then select the average number of jumps per minute.