Strava is one of the most popular fitness apps in the world. Not only do users love the accuracy of its tracking but they also love the social connectivity, the sense of community and group activities.
Despite having 40+ activity options, Strava doesn’t have a treadmill option on the list. But, don’t worry, we’ve done the research for you and have found 6 ways for you to record your Strava treadmill run data.
What is Strava?
Stava is one of the most popular fitness apps in the world with millions of users. It’s a social fitness network that enables athletes to track and analyze their activities.
This includes foot sports (running, trail running, virtual running, hiking and more), cycle sports (riding, mountain bike riding, virtual ride and e-bike ride and more), water sports (swimming, surfing, stand-up paddling, kitesurfing, kayaking and more), winter sports (ice skating, skiing, cross country) and other sports (including inline skating, weight training, elliptical, stair stepper and more).
Using Strava, you can record your workout using a GPS-enabled device such as a smartphone or GPS watch, and then upload your data to the platform.
Strava provides tools for analyzing the data, this includes features such as route mapping, segment tracking, and performance metrics like speed, distance, and elevation.
As it’s a social fitness network, a key feature of Strava is that users can connect with other athletes, join communities and clubs, as well as participate in events and challenges.
Strava is available on both iOS and Android. It’s free to join but if you want more advanced features, you’ll need to pay a subscription.
Where does Strava work?
Strava is literally available around the world in 195 countries. It will work wherever GPS-enabled devices (such as smartphones, GPS watches and other fitness devices) can record activities and upload them onto the internet.
However, depending on your location, you might only be able to access certain features and services. Also, some challenges and events might be limited to certain countries or locations.
In general, though, you should be able to access Strava from just about anywhere.
Can you use Strava on a treadmill?
Despite the long list of possible workouts that you can record on Strava, surprisingly, a treadmill isn’t an option. However, you can still use Strava on a treadmill if you have a GPS-enabled device such as a GPS watch or smartphone.
An Apple Watch is the only watch that has a Strava app, so you can record your Strava treadmill run if you have an Apple Watch.
Some treadmills, like the best folding treadmill the NoblePro Elite E8i, have apps that will upload your data to Strava so you can complete your run and then upload your data.
By the way, if you’ve recently got a treadmill or are perhaps thinking of one for running, don’t forget to get a treadmill mat. Read: Should I put a mat under my treadmill for more info.
How to record your Strava treadmill run
Here are 6 ways that you can record your Strava treadmill run.
#1. Record your treadmill run as a workout
When you opt to record an activity, you have the option to choose between a whole lot of activities. Under Other Sports, you’ll see Workout. Select Workout to record your activity. If you have a heart rate monitor or a fitness device, Strava will record that data.
Once you’ve finished your workout, you can edit it to mark it as a Strava treadmill run.
- Once you’ve finished your workout, select My Activities
- Find the workout in question and select Edit
- Select Mark as Stationary
#2. Manually add your activity
One of the ways to add your Strave treadmill run data to the app is to add it manually.
- After you finish your workout on the treadmill, take a picture of your data or write it down. Record the start and end time of your workout, distance, duration, and calories burned.
- Log in to your Strava account.
- Click on the Manual Activity button. The orange circle in the bottom right corner with a + sign.
- Complete the relevant details, such as the date, type of activity (running), distance, duration, and calories burned.
- Click on Save to add your workout to your Strava account.
- To classify your workout as a stationary activity, go to the “My Activities” section and find your treadmill workout.
- Click on “Edit” and then select “Mark as Stationary.”
That’s it! Your treadmill workout data is now added to your Strava account.
#3. Use a heart rate monitor
A more accurate way to track your Strava treadmill run is to connect a heart rate monitor if you have one.
If you have one or decide to get one, follow these steps:
- Open the Strava app and tap Record at the bottom of your screen.
- Choose the Sport option, and then select Workout from the list of activities.
- On your workout screen, click the heart icon for a heart rate monitor.
- Connect your heart rate monitor to Strava using Bluetooth.
- You can now begin your workout and monitor your heart rate throughout.
- You don’t need to be an expert on heart rate to use the heart rate analysis on Strava, and it will provide a more accurate estimate of calories burned during your workout.
#4. Use a third-party app to sync your data to Strava
There are a number of fitness apps that will record your data and sync it with Strava. You can use them to record your Strava treadmill run without any issues.
For example, you can set up automatic syncing on Zwift by heading over to Settings, selecting Connections, and then selecting Connect to Strava.
Popular running app Kinni allows you to build custom workouts. It also controls your treadmill (depending on the model) and uploads your sessions to Strava.
#5. Use a compatible treadmill to sync your data to Strava
Although there are very few out there, we’ve found one treadmill (available in the UK) that will upload your treadmill workouts to Strava.
The NoblePro Elite E8i treadmill allows you to upload your runs directly onto the Strava app. Here’s how to do so.
- Connect your Strava account to the Sidekick app
- Find the Session details that you want to share.
- Select the floating action bar on the right and tap Upload to Strava button on the right-hand side.
It will take a few seconds but your data will upload to Strava. Once complete, select Close
#6 Use a running watch like Garmin
All Garmin watches can sync with Strava via the Garmin Connect mobile app. Once you’ve calibrated your Garmin watch to your treadmill, you can then sync it to Strava to get more accurate data.
Here’s how to automatically sync Strava with Garmin Connect
- Download the Garmin Connect Mobile app on your Bluetooth-enabled Garmin device and create an account.
- Link it to your Strava account by going to Settings > Connected Apps > Strava.
- Accept the “Upload your activities from Garmin Connect to Strava” permission.
- Once your activities are uploaded to Garmin Connect via Bluetooth, they will automatically sync with Strava within a few moments.
- After the first upload, Garmin will also sync your past 90 days of activity to Strava.
Apart from Garmin and Apple Watches, here is a list of fitness devices that will also sync with Strava in a similar fashion.
- Polar watches – all Polar watches
- Samsung Wear OS watches – Galaxy Watch 4 and Galaxy Watch 5
Although Strava currently doesn’t have the option to record a treadmill run, as you can see, there are a few workarounds to get your Strava treadmill run data into the app. By far, the easiest option is if you have a treadmill that will do this for you. Alternatively, you can also opt for one of the many fitness apps out there that sync to Strava or a fitness device such as the more popular running watches.
Can I track treadmill runs on Strava?
Yes, although the app doesn’t have a specific Strava treadmill run option, there are plenty of ways to track your treadmill runs on Strava. This includes recording your run as a workout, manually adding the data from your treadmill, using a fitness device that syncs with Strava, wearing a heart rate monitor or even using a treadmill that has the Strava app such as the NoblePro.
How do I manually add a treadmill to Strava?
Although Strava doesn’t sync to a treadmill from the app, you can manually upload your activity or data via Manual Activity.
Is there a way to edit Strava?
Yes, under My Activities, you have the option to edit an activity. Simply find the activity you’d like to edit, select edit and make the necessary changes.
Can I record Strava treadmill runs?
Yes, you can. You can record it as a Workout under Other workouts and then edit, you can also use a GPS-enabled device, a heart rate monitor, or a treadmill that syncs to Strava like the NoblePro Elite E8i.
Can Strava calculate my treadmill incline?
No, Strava can’t calculate your treadmill incline due to the variation in incline levels between treadmills. It’s best to manually add this info to Strava or use an incline tracking device.
Can I use Strava with my smartwatch or fitness tracker to track treadmill runs?
Yes, many popular smartwatches and fitness devices sync with Strava. These include Apple Watches, Garmin watches, Polar watches, and more.
Can I set goals or track progress for my treadmill workouts on Strava?
Yes, you can set goals and track your progress for treadmill workouts on Strava. You can set goals for distance, time, or other metrics, and Strava will track your progress towards these goals over time. You can also analyze your workout data to identify areas for improvement and track your overall progress.
- It’s possible to record your Strava treadmill run data using one of these 6 ways.
- The easiest option is to use a GPS-enabled device that syncs to Strava or a treadmill like NoblePro that connects to the Strava app.
- Alternatively, you can also manually upload your treadmill info onto Strava and record the activity.