Are treadmills with screens worth it? Yes, they are. They keep you entertained and motivated to work out…and getting started is often half the battle!
Having bought a treadmill with a screen and built-in entertainment apps like Netflix and Amazon Prime (yes… you read that correctly… comes with Netflix out-of-the-box), we can categorically say it’s worth every penny.
Not only do they track your essential metrics, but they also let you binge-watch favourite shows, stream YouTube videos, and take worldwide trainer-led runs.
The connectivity on these treadmills gives you detailed session stats while encouraging you to exercise regularly — that’s a winning combination.
What are treadmills with screens?
Treadmills with screens are exercise machines with built-in display screens. You can see the time, distance, speed, and calories burned during a workout.
In addition, some treadmills offer screen-accessible interactive features, like virtual workouts, internet access, or entertainment apps for streaming content.
Two types of screens are used in treadmills: LCD (liquid crystal display) and LED (light-emitting diode). Both types use a series of pixels to display images and text, but they work slightly differently.
LCD screens use a layer of liquid crystals that an electric current can manipulate. The current makes them rotate and allows light to pass through, creating an image on the screen.
LED screens use a series of tiny light-emitting diodes to create an image on the screen. These diodes are typically more energy-efficient and produce a brighter, higher-resolution image than LCD screens. However, they may be more expensive to manufacture and repair.
What's a smart treadmill?
A smart treadmill is one that has a smart screen or touchscreen that’s used to control the treadmill. You can select customised programs, virtual workouts or stream content. Most smart treadmills also offer connectivity to fitness apps or the ability to track and store workout data. So if you’re wondering are treadmill screens worth it? Yes, if you have one of these.
What are the benefits of owning a treadmill with a screen?
Overall, a treadmill with a screen can be a great investment for anyone who would like to make their workouts more convenient, efficient, and enjoyable. Here are just a few of the key benefits.
A treadmill with a screen can be fun
Most treadmills with screens offer built-in entertainment options such as streaming apps like Netflix, TV shows, movies and more. This can make your workouts more enjoyable and exercising sustainable.
Keep in mind though that, for most of them, you’ll need to have an additional subscription to their fitness app in order to access the entertainment features. However, if you’re in the UK, you’re in luck as there is one brand that has Netflix and other entertainment apps built-in so there’s no additional cost. We feel that this is one of the reasons why it’s best treadmill with screen available.
It can keep you motivated
Treadmills with screens motivate you to exercise and can keep you motivated.You can watch a couple of Netflix episodes or even an entire movie. They get you on the treadmill and get you going, even on the days when it’s hard to start.
Social connection with group training and virtual classes
Some treadmills with screens offer virtual classes or workouts led by trainers. This can be a great way to mix up your routine and try new workouts. On some programs, you get to see the world virtually with trainer-led runs through well-known tourist destinations.
It can benefit your training and fitness goals
Are treadmills with screens worth it for your training? Definitely! Apart from the entertainment side of being in a class or virtual trails, an essential feature of treadmills with screens is how they improve your training.
- Virtual trainers and guided workout experiences automatically adjust your treadmill speed and incline as you go. So you focus on training without worrying about changing settings.
- Many treadmills with screens come equipped with tracking and monitoring features to see your progress and set goals. Track your speed, distance, heart rate, and other metrics so there’s no guesswork about reaching your optimal heart rate zone. This can also be a great motivator as you have a record of your progress.
- Customised programs – some treadmills with screens allow you to customize your workouts and create personalized training plans to suit your fitness level and goals.
So, are treadmills with screens worth it? What to look for
Treadmills with screens are worthwhile investments for some people, but it depends on your needs and personal preferences.
Here are a few things to consider when deciding if a treadmill with a screen is worth it for you:
How will you use the treadmill?
- Are you planning to only use the treadmill on rainy days or will it be a partner to your outdoor training?
- Will you be primarily walking or running? Walkers don’t need the fastest treadmills available.
- Are you looking for virtual group training with different types of workouts or primarily running? So think about the types of workouts you’ll do most often.
- Treadmills explicitly built for runners are sturdy and tailor-made for your most challenging workouts.
- Netflix or Disney+ access might help keep kids active. So families may appreciate treadmills with built-in entertainment on a screen.
Does your home gym include a TV setup?
If you already have a screen set up in your home gym, you might not need to have a treadmill with an HD touchscreen, especially if you are only using it for entertainment apps.
However, if you don’t have a TV or screen in your gym, a treadmill with a screen can go a long way to helping you stay motivated and get the most out of your treadmill.
Price and hidden costs
The price is why many people wonder: “Are treadmills with screens worth it?” Treadmills with screens can vary significantly in price depending on the features and quality of the treadmill.
Entry-level treadmills with screens may start at around $500, while high-end models can cost upwards of $3000 or more.
Some price factors of a treadmill with a screen include:
- Display size and quality
- Available programming and workouts
- Treadmill durability and performance
- Additional features: built-in speakers or internet connectivity
Consider any hidden costs associated with screens on treadmills:
- Required subscriptions or memberships for online workouts or streaming services
- Treadmill repairs or maintenance
- Shipping or delivery fees
Connectivity and entertainment apps
Verify the treadmill with a screen can access all the entertainment apps you want and has internet connectivity.
Most treadmills with smart screens require an additional membership or subscription to their fitness app if you want to stream apps such as Netflix or Amazon Prime. For example, you can only watch Netflix on a Bowflex treadmill if you have the JRNY app.
Other treadmill brands, such as Nordictrack, do have internet connectivity if you subscribe to iFIT, but they don’t have access to any entertainment apps. Fortunately, some people have worked out a hack to watch TV on Nordictrack treadmill, so you can still work around the manufacturer’s settings but at the risk of making your warranty void.
So if you want a treadmill that can stream entertainment apps, make sure that you can access them without having to work against the manufacturer’s settings.
Here are some essential physical features of treadmills with screens.
- Room to hold a water bottle, phone, tablet, or sweat towel
- Size and height of the screen
- Where will you put the treadmill in your home? Do you have the space for it?
Treadmill brands with screens to watch Netflix and more
Top brands that have treadmills with screens include:
- NoblePro Elite E8i – has built-in entertainment apps such as Netflix and Amazon Prime. You can also access the internet via Google Chrome.
- Bowflex – if you subscribe to the JRNY app, you can access Netflix, Prime Video, Hulu, and Disney+
- NordicTrack or Proform – only if you use the workaround that voids your warranty
Are treadmills with screens worth it? FAQs
You’ll need a Netflix subscription, but a treadmill with a TV screen that has internet access works like any other device. Click the Netflix app and select your favorite show!
As long as you’re using the treadmill safely and are paying attention to your surroundings, it’s generally fine to watch TV on a treadmill. It really depends on the individual and what the day’s workout encompasses. For example, TV might be too distracting if you work on technique or sprints. But other days, it could keep you motivated.
You can watch anything you want! Aim to run through three episodes of your favorite show. The beauty of watching a treadmill screen while running is that you have many options for entertaining workouts.
- Are treadmills with screens worth it? Yes, they are!
- Treadmills with screens keep you motivated to exercise.
- Look for a high-quality, easy-to-see treadmill screen.
- Verify internet connectivity and entertain/work out app availability.
- Check for hidden costs.
- Buy a treadmill that fits your specific training needs and space.